23 Feb 2011

Fake dreads

Some warn people that they shouldn't use wool dreads because they smell like sheep. They may or they may not depending on what kind of wool you use. The more lanolin left in the wool, the more sheep it will smell, especially when wet. The best thing is to choose a yarn which is well processed and with a fussy structure to it. This means a 1 tread yarn very lightly spun. If you use this your wool dreads won't smell more sheep than natural human hair dreads.

I have been making dreads today and I got 6 double dreads out of 1 skein. I have 1 left so I'll get 12, possibly 13 (there were some left on the first skein) 4 ft dreads. Folded in half they will definitely add length (and volume). Once they're all finished I'll fold them in half and sew on hair clips to keep them in place.

Me working on one dread.

For tutorial go here.

No comments: