4 Jun 2011

Skulls?

I really like Dia de Muertos. I live in a country where Halloween really isn't celebrated, though the stores try to promote it, and it's damn cold and rainy in October/November. To me the bright, sunny and colourful celebration of your ancestors as you see in Mexico is fascinating and also something to be envied. What's not to like? Colour, celebration, warm weather and skulls?

There are of course cake toppers in the Dia de Muertos theme. I'm seriously tempted.


Sugar skulls like the one above can be found on www.artfire.com.


I like the elaborate ones above but I also like the second one, which isn't a cake topper obviously. I've used her as post card motif for Dia de Muertos the past 6 years. If you pimp her a bit more she'd work really well.

Since you really can't get hold of moulds here I guess I'll need to either make a skull and make a mould or find a suitable one and make a mould. Making the sugar skulls is in itself not difficult, it's getting hold of a mould that's difficult. Well, it can be done by ordering from the US but I have a hunch that the shipping will exceed the price for the moulds far too much.

If you're in the US you can use this internet shop: www.mexicansugarskull.com.

No comments: